Statement of Faith
CCS is a ministry of Covenant Presbyterian Church. Our priority is to offer a program of academic excellence from a Christian worldview in an atmosphere of Godly love and discipline. The instructional program is unapologetically and specifically based on the infallible word of God and the doctrinal standards of the Reformed faith. Families can expect a charitable, respectful, and fair presentation of all sensitive theological issues and historic evangelical positions. While CCS is a ministry of a Presbyterian church, it is not our intention to develop Presbyterians from within the student body. We do not allow proselytizing of students in any way that is contrary to the CCS doctrinal standards.
CCS is evangelical in its presentation of Christian truth. This means that there are certain beliefs we hold that set us apart. We emphasize the gospel (good news of salvation) through faith in Jesus Christ, as well as affirming other orthodox Christian doctrines and holding to the inerrancy of Scripture.
An in-depth explanation of the CCS doctrinal standards may be found in the Westminster Confession of Faith (WCF) and The Larger and Shorter Catechisms. Below is a summarization of those standards:
- We believe the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is the revelation of God’s truth and is infallible and authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God, who eternally exists in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that all are sinners and totally unable to save themselves from God’s displeasure, except by His mercy.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through His perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in Him, alone, for salvation
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God’s people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow Him.
- We believe that Jesus Christ will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all of mankind and to receive to His people to Himself.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality
Covenant Christian School is a ministry of Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) of Panama City, FL. As a member congregation of The Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), we re-affirm our commitment to our church doctrinal standards regarding Biblical marriage and human sexuality. Our historic standards are reflected clearly in The Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter XXIV and in the teachings of The Westminster Shorter and Larger Catechisms regarding The Seventh Commandment. Our historic standards are based upon the doctrinal standards of the Bible clearly taught in, but not limited to, the following passages: Genesis 2:24; Leviticus 18:1-30; Romans 1:26-32; 1 Corinthians 5:1-2; 6:9-11; 7:10; 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8; Hebrews 13:4; Ephesians 5:22-23; and Mark 10:6-9.
Regarding our position on homosexuality in particular and sexual immorality in general, actions taken by the 1977, 1993, 1996, 1997, and 1999 General Assemblies of the PCA may be summarized as follows:
Homosexual practice is sin. The Bible teaches that all particular sins flow from our rebellious disposition of heart. Just as with any other sin, the PCA deals with people in a pastoral way, seeking to transform their lifestyle through the power of the gospel as applied by the Holy Spirit. Hence, in condemning homosexual practice we claim no self-righteousness, but recognize that any and all sin is equally heinous in the sight of a holy God.
The PCA is committed to the sanctity of human sexual relationships. We believe God’s intent and design in creation was that male and female would be complementary, that the privilege of sexual expression would be between a male and female only, and this expression would be only in the context of marriage. Therefore, any heterosexual or homosexual behavior or relationship that does not conform to God’s design does violence to the human spirit and distorts God’s intent for men and women.
Therefore, Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) and the ministry of Covenant Christian School re-affirm our historic theological, biblical and confessional standards regarding marriage, gender, and sexuality:
- We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God (Gen. 2:26-27). Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person.
2. We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Holy Scripture (Gen. 2:18-25). We believe that God intends intimate sexual relations to only occur between one man and one woman who are married to each other (1 Cor. 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb. 13:4). We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
3. We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexuality, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God (Matt. 15:18-20; 1 Cor. 6:9-10).
4. We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ (Acts 3:19-21; Rom. 10:9-10; 1 Cor. 6:9-11).
5. We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, respect, and dignity (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Holy Scripture, the doctrines of our holy religion nor the example of our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Due to our commitment to foster a church and school culture of Biblical love and holiness, and to preserve the function and integrity of Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a biblical role model to the Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) members, as well as the staff, students and families of Covenant Christian School and the community, these standards will impact our decisions for the ministry of Covenant Church and School: including, but not limited to, facility use, bathroom and locker room designations, marriage ceremonies, church membership, the hiring of staff and volunteers for both church and school, and our evaluation of current and prospective students being admitted into or retained in Covenant Christian School (Matt. 5:16; Phil. 2:14-16; 1 Thess. 5:22). To God be the glory!
*Statement approved by the CPC Session on April 28, 2015, the day the U.S. Supreme Court began debate on the landmark case regarding “same-sex marriage,” and approved by the CCS Board of Directors on April 30, 2015.