Ok yes, I think most of us, including myself, can confess that we have used screen time as a babysitter on occasion.
The question is…what are we feeding our precious little gifts from God when we do? Are we growing them in the grace and admonition of the Lord, or letting them flounder around in the ever-changing cultural soup that seems to have no standards.
Well, let’s see. There’s flagrantly wrong. No, that’s not us! But, what about “neutral” ground such as nature shows, Disney, PBS?
This is where we have to consider, is it really neutral? Also, by the way, where is God in these? (Typically not included, but if so, definitely not put in correct light; in some cases, God is even mocked.)
As a parent, you sit down and think, ‘What are my options?’
Good news! More than you think! Here are a handful of what we love as a family!
- 4 seasons of “VeggieTales in the House” (52 episodes)
- 2 seasons of “VeggieTales in the City” (26 episodes)
- Joseph King of Dreams (animated)
- The Star (animated)
Amazon Prime (You can access many titles at no cost)
Below are a handful of suggested shows:
Preschool through school age:
(*Adults, I love watching these. They are well made and captivating!):
- Super book, 2 series (26 episodes)
- The Torchlighters-Heroes of the Faith (17 episodes)
- Adventures in Oddyssy by Focus on the Family (16 episodes)
- The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John (Individually dramatized and read directly from the Bible. We watch these repeatedly!)
Older children and adults:
- The Bible: Epic Mini Series
- The Passion of the Christ
- Son of God
- The Pilgram’s Progress (19 Episodes) by Derek Prince
- The Parables of Jesus, by RC Sproul (12 episodes)
*Note: Pureflix costs ~ $84/year or $11/month with a free trial month
Thousands of Christ centered shows that can enhance your children’s walk with Christ!
Suggested Movies series:
- What’s In the Bible? (This is the best preschool and elementary kids’ series I have ever seen.)
- Bibleman-great for boys!
- Noah Justice Creation DVD Series: Amazing! I can speak more intelligently about creation facts because of these DVD’s.
- Bible Adventure Life Kids (24 Episodes)-Great for preschool to young elementary
- Saddleback kids ‘shorts’
Try watching your favorite music artists together as a family. The videos give a great visual to accompany your children’s love of music.
- The Bible App for Kids
(Amazing! Colorful, engaging, easy to use, and can be used in airplane mode if you have downloaded the stories to the device)
- Minnokids by JellyTelly ($7/month)
(Christian kids programming, streaming or downloading for “on the go”)
Free Online Resources:
- Keys for Kids Ministries- Free live-streaming music and stories
Hopefully, this brings light to some options out there and will send you on a deeper search. The best source is always the Bible and we LOVE listening to the self-play option on The Bible app for adults or simply reading it ourselves.
Remember, what goes in IS what comes out! God says to be careful about what we choose. What greater charge do we have than to raise our children to follow Him with their whole heart, mind, soul, strength; devoting even their little eyes only to what will please Him.
Is it best to ask “What can we get away with?” or “What will please Him?”
As the Christian parent that God has put in place, we can say, “…as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15).
I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
So cheer up Mom or Dad! You do not have to feel guilty about screen time. Just feed their little souls to draw them closer to Him!